Curried Lamb Kabobs with Biryani Rice
This everyday skillet supper is simple to prepare. Topped with Taste of India Lamb Kabobs, this homemade meal can be prepared even faster then calling for take-out.
- 2 pkg (each 300 g) SunGold Taste of India Lamb Kabobs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh minced gingerroot
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garam masala
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground turmeric
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted chopped cashews
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges (optional)
Preparation & Directions:
- Melt butter in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Add cumin, garam masala and turmeric; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in rice; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until well coated.
- Stir in broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peas; cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well.
- Grill kabobs for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until grill-marked and cooked through.
- Arrange rice on serving platter; sprinkle cashews, cilantro and chili pepper over top.
- Serve kabobs over rice mixture with lime wedges (if using).
- Serve with mango chutney and dollop of yogurt if desired.