Lamb Burgers with Smoked Cheddar and Caramelized Onions
These deluxe burgers are perfect for quick and easy summer dinners. The caramelized onions are cooked in foil packets on the grill for a simple burger topping.
- 4 patties SunGold Prairie Lamb Burgers
- 2 baking potatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 tsp) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 cooking onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, cut into cubes
- 4 slices smoked Cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well.
- Prick potatoes all over with fork. Microwave on High for 8 to 10 minutes or until paring knife inserted in potato meets some resistance in the centre.
- Cut each potato into 8 wedges; toss with oil, thyme, chili powder and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Lay 24-inch (60 cm) long piece of heavy-duty foil on work surface; fold crosswise in half.
- Add onion to centre; season with remaining salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Fold up foil into package, sealing tightly.
- Reduce one side of grill to medium heat; cook onions, flipping once, for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Meanwhile, grill potato wedges over medium-high heat, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes or until well-marked and tender.
- Grill burgers for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until grill-marked and cooked through.
- Top each patty with cheese; cook for 1 minute or until cheese starts to melt.
- Assemble burgers in buns with lettuce, tomatoes and caramelized onions.
- Serve with grilled potato wedges.
- Serve with your favourite burger condiments, such as barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and pickles.
- If you like, substitute crumbled goat cheese for Cheddar cheese.