Lamb Shawarma with Romesco Dipping Sauce
Grill these easy and delicious kabobs and make the sauce ahead for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 4 SunGold Lamb Shawarma kabobs (about 10 oz/300 g)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Romesco Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 red pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) blanched almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cubed lightly toasted baguette or French loaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sherry or red wine vinegar
Preparation & Directions:
- Romesco Dipping Sauce: Preheat broiler to high. Place pepper and tomatoes, cut sides down on foil-lined baking sheet; brush with 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until well charred. Let cool enough to handle; peel away skins and chop.
- In food processor, chop garlic. Add almonds; pulse until finely chopped. Add bread, paprika, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper; process until fine.
- Add reserved pepper and tomatoes; process until chunky. Add vinegar; pulse until combined. With machine running, drizzle in remaining olive oil until smooth. Transfer to serving dish.
- Preheat grill to medium-high; grease grate well. Grill lamb kabobs, turning occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until grill- marked and cooked through. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve kabobs with Romesco Dipping Sauce.
- For medium doneness, cook lamb to internal temperature of 160°F (71°C), and 165° (74°C) for medium-well.
- If you prefer, replace smoked paprika with sweet paprika.
- Use remaining Romesco Sauce in sandwiches with Spanish cured meats and cheeses.