Rapini and Garlic Penne with Lamb Sausage
Rapini and garlic pair nicely with the mild Italian lamb sausage in this classic Italian pasta dish.
- 1 pkg (340 g) SunGold Mild Italian Lamb Sausage, sliced
- 1 box (375 g) penne pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 bunch rapini, trimmed and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch red chili flakes
Preparation & Directions:
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain, reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook sausage for 2 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Add rapini, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to skillet; cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in tomato sauce; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is cooked and rapini is tender.
- Add pasta and pasta water to skillet; toss until pasta is well coated.
- Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated cheese.
- Transfer to serving platter; sprinkle chili flakes and remaining Parmesan cheese over top.
- If you find rapini too bitter, blanch in pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes before using. Drain well.