Spaghetti and Lamb Meatballs
Baked in the oven to brown, these tender crowd-pleasing meatballs are cooked in a savoury tomato sauce with lots of fresh basil. You might want to make a double batch for leftovers!
- 2 pkg (each 340 g) SunGold Italian-Style Lamb Meatballs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each chili flakes, salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn (divided)
- 10 oz (300 g) spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shaved Parmesan cheese
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Arrange meatballs in single layer on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic, oregano, chili flakes, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Add tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and bay leaf; bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs; cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- Stir in half of the basil, and discard bay leaf.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce over spaghetti; garnish with Parmesan and remaining basil.
- If desired, add 1/4 cup (60 mL) white or red wine after adding tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes before adding the diced tomatoes.