Lebanese Lamb, Butternut and Spinach Stew
A quick stew when made with tender leg or sirloin lamb cubes is packed with nutrients and mellowed by butternut squash and aromatic spicing for an easy dinner (and leftovers tomorrow!)
- 1 lb (500 g) 1 inch (2.5 cm) SUNGOLD cubed lamb from leg or sirloin
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3 cloves, garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) peeled and diced butternut or acorn squash
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh spinach, or 1 cup (250 mL) frozen
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pomegranate, seeded OR fresh chopped tomato for garnish, optional
Preparation & Directions:
- In a deep skillet or stove top casserole with a lid, over medium high, brown lamb cubes in oil.
- Add garlic, onion, brown rice, spices and continue to brown until rice is lightly toasted with the spices.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and stir in beef broth, water and squash.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir occasionally and add water if mixture is becoming dry. This should be a saucy broth.
- Add spinach to wilt, and just before serving stir in lemon zest and juice
- Serve in shallow bowls garnished with pomegranate seeds, or chopped fresh tomato, if desired.