Spinach Goat Cheese and Pine Nut Stuffed Lamb
Serve this tasty stuffed lamb for any holiday and win rave reviews from family and friends.
- 1 SunGold Boneless Leg, Tunnel Boned (4 to 5 lb/2 to 2.25 kg)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 5 oz (150 g) baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped pitted black olives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely crumbled goat cheese
- Lemon wedges (optional)
Preparation & Directions:
- Heat half of the oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook half of the garlic for about 1 minute or until softened and fragrant.
- Add spinach and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Let cool completely.
- Squeeze out excess moisture and transfer to bowl.
- Stir in pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, parsley and basil until combined; stir in goat cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Pat lamb dry with paper towel.
- On clean work surface or baking sheet, lay lamb flat.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper.
- Spoon stuffing along centre of meat, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border all around.
- Tightly roll up lamb into log shape; tie with butcher string to secure.
- Rub lamb with remaining oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place lamb on rack in roasting pan; roast for about 90 minutes for medium-rare, or until instant-read thermometer inserted into centre registers internal temperature of 145°F (63°C), or cook to desired doneness.
- Tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove string and slice.
- Serve with lemon (if using).
- For medium doneness, cook lamb to internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) and 165°F (74°C) for medium-well.
- Serve lamb with roasted root vegetables, such as roasted potatoes, carrots, parsnips and beets.
- If you are a fan of goat cheese, up the amount of the cheese to 1/3 cup (75 mL).