Western Style BBQ Sauce for Lamb Steaks
This fresh bbq sauce has a bit more acidity which compliments the juicy smokiness of barbecued lamb particularly well. Whether you prefer leg steaks, lamb sirloin or chops, grill to desired doneness and serve with baked potatoes, corn and beans for a western feast.
- 4 to 6 300g each SUNGOLD lamb leg or sirloin steaks, or 8 large loin chops
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) home made or canned plain tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) molasses
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chilli powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground chipotle pepper, or red pepper flakes
Preparation & Directions:
- Season lamb with salt and pepper and let rest while preparing the bbq sauce.
- In a mixing bowl whisk tomato sauce, garlic, molasses, chilli, cumin, Dijon, oil and chipotle.
- Set aside 1/3 of the sauce to serve with steaks once cooked. This will prevent any cross contamination between the basting sauce and the steaks as they cook.
- Over a medium high barbecue flame or grill pan cook steaks for 3 minutes on one side.
- Turn and baste sauce on the cooked side, grill for 2 to 3 minutes, turn, and baste.
- Continue turning steaks and basting lightly for 2 to 3 minutes, just until sauce begins to char and steak reach desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Remove from heat, and allow to rest a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with warmed reserved sauce.