Five Spice Lamb Osso Bucco with Fennel and Orange
Fennel, orange and beer add depth of flavour and brightness to this version of Osso Bucco.
- 8 SunGold Lamb Shanks (about 1 1/2 lb/750 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fennel
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each chopped celery and onion
- 1 bottle (330 mL) beer
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked long-grain rice
- 1 orange, segmented
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Season lamb with 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven or roasting pan set over medium heat; sear lamb on all sides. Transfer to platter.
- In same pan, sauté fennel, carrot, celery and onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and golden. Add beer, scraping up any brown bits.
- Add orange juice, soy sauce, 1 cup (250 mL) water, five-spice powder, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to boil; boil for 5 minutes. Return lamb to pan; cover and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until fork-tender. Transfer lamb to platter. Skim fat from pan juices. Bring pan juices to boil over medium heat; boil for 3 to 5 minutes or until reduced. Strain sauce.
- Orange-Cilantro Rice: Toss together rice, orange and cilantro. Serve lamb on bed of rice; spoon sauce over top.
Tip: To section an orange, cut away peel and pith, working over a bowl to catch juice (use juice in recipe). Using sharp knife, cut between membranes to release sections.