Greek Style Osso Bucco in a Crock Pot
Slow cooked lamb shanks, in a rich herbed tomato sauce are delicious and comforting over gnocchi or large egg noodles. Add a salad of mixed greens, for a cosy dinner.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) SUNGOLD osso bucco style cut lamb shanks
- ½ cup (125 mL) flour
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) canola oil, divided
- 8 small sweet peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 2 springs, fresh rosemary
- Hot, cooked gnocchi
- Fresh chopped parsley
Preparation & Directions:
- On a baking pan, or in a large bowl, dust lamb with flour, salt and pepper to cover.
- Set crock pot on 3 hours, or medium temperature, depending on the manufacturer.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat half of the oil and brown the meat in batches.
- Place in the crock pot.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Add the peppers, garlic, and fennel and cook just until lightly browned.
- Remove to the crock pot.
- Reduce skillet temperature to low and slowly add the wine, to deglaze the browned layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour this liquid over the lamb and vegetables.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano and rosemary sprigs to the crock pot, stir to combine, cover.
- After three hours the lamb will be fork tender and saucy.
- Prepare gnocchi according to package directions.
- To serve, place gnocchi in individual shallow bowls, spoon equal servings of lamb and vegetables with sauce over, and garnish with chopped parsley.