Lamb Meat Loaf with Sundried Tomatoes and Feta Filling
A mildly seasoned meatloaf with a filling of feta cheese makes a simple meal something to look forward to.
- 1 lb (500 g) SUNGOLD ground lamb
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked white rice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) coarsely chopped drained capers
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) mixed Italian Herb seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups ( 500 mL) chopped cooked spinach, optional
Preparation & Directions:
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground lamb, rice, egg, sundried tomatoes, capers and seasoning and mix lightly until combined.
- In a smaller bowl, crumble feta into small pieces and stir with spinach, if using.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Spoon three quarters of the lamb mixture into an 8x8 (2L) loaf pan.
- Press around the sides and bottom of the pan, pushing the meat down in the middle of the loaf to make a “tunnel” with about 2 inches (10 cm) of meat mixture on the bottom and sides.
- Spoon the feta spinach mixture into the tunnel, pressing firmly, and top with the remaining meat mixture. Pat this down firmly sealing the tunnel, so the cheese does not bubble out.
- Bake for 40 minutes until juices are no longer pink.
- Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Remove loaf and cut with a sharp knife to reveal the melted feta.