Chipotle Braised Lamb Tacos
These meat-lovers tacos are sweet and spicy. Served with a lime- spiked sour cream, they make a decadent main dish or appetizer.
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) SunGold Dice Lamb Shoulder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
Lime Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lime zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch each salt and pepper
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325˚F (160˚C).
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven set over medium-high heat; sear lamb for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add onion, garlic and cumin to pan; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add broth, barbecue sauce, honey and chipotle peppers; bring to boil.
- Return lamb to pan; cover and transfer to oven.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until lamb is very tender; transfer to large bowl and shred using 2 forks.
- Return to pan (reheat if needed).
Lime Sour Cream:
- Meanwhile, stir together sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Divide shredded lamb evenly among tortillas.
- Top with Lime Sour Cream, radishes and cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- For less-spicy tacos, use only 1 chipotle pepper.
- Serve tacos with grilled corn, rice and beans or coleslaw.