Classic Lamb Pot Roast
Comfort food at its best, this slow-cooked roast makes a delicious Sunday family dinner.
- 1 SunGold Whole Boneless Lamb Shoulder (about 4 lb/1.8 kg)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly cracked pepper
- 2 lb (1 kg) baby potatoes
- 2 parsnips, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 4 shallots, halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
Preparation & Directions:
- Combine oil, thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Remove netting from lamb and rub all over with oil mixture.
- In slow cooker, combine potatoes, parsnips, carrots, celery and shallots; place roast on top.
- Whisk together chicken broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce until blended; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables from slow cooker; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch into 1/4 cup (60 mL) of cooking liquid; whisk into slow cooker and bring to boil on HIGH.
- Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in chives.
- Slice roast and serve with vegetables and gravy.
- Serve the roast with a simple green salad: try mixed baby greens garnished with grape tomatoes and whole pitted black olives tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- For richer flavour, sear roast until browned all over, then add to slow cooker.
- If desired, add 1 cup (250 mL) thawed frozen peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking to warm through.