Spice Braised Shoulder Chop
Shoulder chops braised low and slow result in deliciously tender lamb.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) five-spice powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 SunGold Lamb Shoulder Chops (about 8 oz each)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili pepper flakes (approx.)
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius). Combine five-spice powder, salt and pepper. Rub lamb chops on both sides with spice mixture.
- Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet set over medium heat. Brown lamb chops, turning once, for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Pour off fat; return skillet to heat. Add chicken broth, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and honey; bring to boil. Transfer to oven; cover and bake for about 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove lamb chops; set aside and keep warm. Combine cornstarch with 2 tsp (10 mL) water; add to liquid in pan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; boil, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place lamb chops in shallow bowls; drizzle with pan sauce. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds; sprinkle with chili pepper flakes to taste.
- Serve over rice with sauteed bok choy.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute wheat-free tamari for soy sauce.