From the high-quality nutrients to its delicious taste, there always seems to be more reasons to eat more lamb! Here are just a few reasons why you should consider incorporating more lamb into your diet:
Quality Protein Source With Low Fat
Lamb is an excellent and high-quality source of protein. We need a daily intake of protein to provide us with all the essential amino acids that our bodies need to:
- Build bones, muscles, cartilage, and skin
- Repair and build tissue
- Help oxygenate your entire body with the nutrients it needs
- Produce enzymes, which aids in digesting food, and making new cells and body chemicals
Lamb does not only provide an appropriate amount of protein to help with daily health maintenance, but its advantage over other meat sources such as beef is that it has less marbling so that when you trim the fat around the edges after cooking, the meat ends up much leaner. This means that when you eat lamb, you’re eating a delicious meat packed with protein that is low in fat!
Stay In Shape
Lamb contains essential nutrients that can help us stay or get in shape such as curbing hunger, building lean muscle, reducing muscle loss, and speeding recovery after exercise/and or injury.
Additionally, CLA ( Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is a ruminant trans fat found in lamb that helps reduce body fat mass and maintain a healthy weight. In fact, CLA is often found in popular weight loss supplements. Higher amounts of CLA are found in grass-fed lamb and are higher in lamb when compared to beef! Research has linked CLA to lower risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals
When you eat lamb, not only will you be receiving an excellent source of protein, but also all the necessary nutrients and minerals our bodies need to maintain perfect health such as
- Vitamin B12: Important for blood formation and brain function, helps reduce anemia and neurological damage
- Zinc: Accelerates wound healing, boosts immune system, fights inflammation, used for the growth and formation of hormones
- Selenium: Prevents cell damage caused by free radicals, boosts immune system, may reduce risk to some forms of cancer, reduces risk of heart disease, promotes mental well-being, supports thyroid health
- Niacin: Lowers cholesterol, helps reduce inflammation, boosts brain function, improves skin function
- Phosphorus: Keeps your bones strong and healthy, helps make energy, moves your muscles
- Iron: Provides energy and focus, boosts immune system, regulates body temperature, assists gastrointestinal processes, fights anemia
Along with the amazing health benefits, we should eat more lamb for its delicious and outstanding taste! There is an endless amount of easy and healthy lamb recipes that you can use to cook the most amazing meal for yourself and your loved ones! Here are a few meals that you can prepare:
Chipotle Braised Lamb Tacos: These meat-lovers tacos are sweet and spicy. Served with a lime- spiked sour cream, they make a decadent main dish or appetizer.
Rack Lambsicles (with Pea and Mint Pesto): Serve one or two of these delicious little chops for a satisfying appetizer or three to four as a main dish. The fresh and lively pesto is like a taste of spring.
Lamb Kofta with Veggie Couscous Salad: Perfect for quick dinners or easy entertaining, these grilled lamb koftas are served with a fresh salad tossed in a flavourful harissa dressing.
If you’re ready to eat world-class quality, sustainable, and responsibly sourced lamb that Canadians have trusted for 45 years, make sure to check out our SunGold lamb products.