You’ve picked out a lamb entree for your summer BBQ, but what comes next? It’s time to select a scrumptious summer side dish! It’s important to plan side dishes that really elevate your meal, and bring out the most of your lamb dining experience! You can do this easily with a couple of incredible accoutrements we’ve taste tested for you!
We’ve put together our top seven favourite side dishes that will pair perfectly with your next lamb meal. Adding a couple (or more!) will add a whole new level of flavour to your dish. This list showcases side dishes that we know pair well with our lamb recipes!
1. Avocado Salsa
Photo Source: https://cookieandkate.com/chunky-avocado-salsa-recipe/
Light, summery, and full of nutritious vegetables; Avocado Salsa is an easy side for your summer lamb entree. Minimum effort, maximum wow factor! This salsa is almost like a guacamole and summer salad hybrid. We searched far and wide, and our favourite rendition was definitely the one by Cookie and Kate. Their recipe includes just these six simple ingredients:
- Diced ripe avocado
- Quartered cherry tomatoes
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Minced jalapeño
- Fresh lime juice
All you need for preparation is a knife and a cutting board. Chop up all your ingredients and mix them together in a bowl. Next, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Keep it in the fridge till meal time (but not too long so the avocado doesn’t brown).
In our recipe book, we usually pair this side dish with our Grilled Mojo Lamb Steaks. But, this easy dish can be turned into a ton of different appetizers. Use it as filling for tacos or burritos, serve it as dip with a side of chips.
2. Mango Apple Salad
The last recipe was very veggie-heavy, so if you’re looking for something sweet, fruity, refreshing, and just as easy to prepare, then this Mango Apple Salad might be the side dish for you.
All you need is:
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4 tsp (20 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped toasted cashews
Just toss together the tomatoes, mango, apple, lime juice, olive oil, sugar and salt. Stir in with the fresh basil and green onions. This little side dish will add beautiful color to your plate that will impress your guests!
In the past, we’ve suggested mango apple salad as a base for one of our Lamb Kabob recipes, but it is delicious on its own. It’s a perfect side for any of our summer recipes.
3. Grilled Lemon Garlic Asparagus
Asparagus is a match made in heaven with our Cranberry Orange Lamb Chops, but also makes a healthy and mouth-watering side to any lamb meal. We decided to dive into a grilled asparagus recipe, so that you can prepare it effortlessly at your grill alongside your main course this summer.
All you need, is:
- 2 pounds of asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Three minced garlic cloves
- One fresh lemon
- Tin foil
Here’s how you prepare it:
- Rinse, and trim the bottom of the asparagus
- Toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil
- Wrap in tin foil
- Leave on grill for 5-10 minutes until lightly charred and tender
- Toss with garlic minced and parmesan cheese
- Squeeze fresh lemon over your delectable asparagus
4. Smoky Grilled Corn
In the theme of sides you can make on the grill, we found this irresistible Smoky Grilled Corn recipe through Cooking Light. It’s a leveled up version of the classic corn-on-the-cob that we recommend with our Lamb Surf and Turf.
According to Cooking Light, you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium fresh corn ears
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
Preparation is a super easy four-step process:
- Mix all of your ingredients, minus the chives and the corn, in a big bowl together
- Evenly brush the mixture across your six corn ears
- Place on the grill and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until soft and lightly charred
- Sprinkle corn with your chopped chives
4. Veggie couscous salad
This is yet another vegetarian summer salad to enjoy on a hot, sunny day. Preparation is a bit more complex than our previous two salad recommendations, but the time spent is absolutely worth it.
Couscous is considered a ‘superfood.” It’s packed with nutrients and is a great source of plant-based protein. In addition to being absolutely scrumptious, it’s so healthy for you – bonus!
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) couscous
- 1 small carrot, diced and blanched
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced red onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) harissa paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Here’s what to do with your ingredients:
- Prepare couscous according to package directions
- Prepare dressing: whisk together yogurt, lime zest, lime juice, oil, honey, harissa and salt.
- Toss together couscous, carrot, zucchini, tomatoes, pepper, onion, parsley and dressing; transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish salad with finely chopped almonds, pistachios or pine nuts.
- Substitute pearl couscous for regular couscous if desired.
- If you like, substitute mint for parsley.
The final step would usually be to top with our Lamb Kofta, but as a side suggestion we’ll make that optional. Serve it with any of your summer lamb favourites!
5. Pea and Mint pesto
Our Pea and Mint Pesto dip makes a creamy side for… pretty much anything. It’s an integral part of our Rack Lambsicles, but you can also use it as a dip for chips, veggies, naan, fries, potato wedges, or anything else you think could you use an extra kick of flavour!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
Preparation is effortless. Throw it all in a food processor, and blend until pureed. Serve with your choice of dish! Top with a sprig of mint to up the presentation.
7. Seasoned Potato Wedges
Okay burger lovers, it’s time for the side just for you. Seasoned potato wedges are the classic side to any BBQ burger. We picked out our favourite recipe, by myrecipes.com.
According to their website, you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large russet potatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup minced fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, chive, dill, and Italian parsley
Here’s how to bring this recipe to life:
- Heat up the grill to medium
- Toss the potato wedges in the oil, salt, and pepper
- Grill the potatoes over direct medium heat, until they are golden brown and tender
- Take the potatoes off the grill, put them in a bowl, and mix them with the butter and mustard
- Garnish with herbs
Try it with our Lamb Burgers with Smoked Cheddar and Caramelized Onions, or any of our other lamb burgers! We won’t fault you if you want to pair this with every meal you make, though. It’s truly that delicious.
There you have it! Our top 7 summer side dishes that will take your summer lamb dinner to the next level. Be sure to tag us on Facebook & Instagram with your delectable summer creations.