Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
This everyday skillet supper is simple to prepare. Topped with Taste of India Lamb Kabobs, this homemade meal can be prepared even faster then calling for take-out.
- 2 pkg (each 300 g) SunGold Taste of India Lamb Kabobs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh minced gingerroot
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garam masala
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground turmeric
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted chopped cashews
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges (optional)
Preparation & Directions:
- Melt butter in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Add cumin, garam masala and turmeric; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in rice; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until well coated.
- Stir in broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peas; cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well.
- Grill kabobs for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until grill-marked and cooked through.
- Arrange rice on serving platter; sprinkle cashews, cilantro and chili pepper over top.
- Serve kabobs over rice mixture with lime wedges (if using).
- Serve with mango chutney and dollop of yogurt if desired.
Nutrition Facts (Per 1/4 recipe)
- Calories 506
- Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 115mg
- Sodium 797mg
- Carbohydrate 52g
- Fibre 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 37g
- Vitamin A 25% DV
- Vitamin C 35% DV
- Calcium 4% DV
- Iron 45% DV