Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes (+ 4 hours marinating time) | Serves: 4
This version of the signature marinade of Cuba pairs very well with lamb, keeping the steaks juicy when grilled.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 SunGold Bone-in Lamb Leg Steaks
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cumin
- Pinch each salt and pepper
Preparation & Directions:
- Whisk together orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, brown sugar, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper; pour over lamb in non-metallic container or in resealable plastic bag. Cover or seal; refrigerate lamb for at least 4 hours or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Grill steaks, turning once, for about 8 minutes for medium-rare or until desired doneness.
- Avocado Salsa: Meanwhile, combine avocado, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Serve with steaks.
- Instead of the salsa, serve the lamb simply with avocado – with a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro if desired.