Prep Time: 30 minutes |?Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours |?Total Time: 3 hours |?Serves: 4
Use these neck chops to a make a mouthwatering slow-cooked braised lamb dinner. This is a great option for holiday entertaining.
- 4 SunGold Lamb Neck Chops (about 3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth (approx.)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) capers
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole-grain couscous
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh mint
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325?F (160?C). Pat lamb dry with paper towel; rub with smoked paprika, cumin, and 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven set over medium-high heat; sear lamb for 1 or 2 minutes per side. Transfer lamb to platter.
- In same pan, saut? onions, carrot and celery over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Sprinkle with flour; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in wine; cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, olives and capers; bring to boil. Return lamb to pan.
- Transfer to oven; bake for about 2 hours or until lamb is fork-tender and falls off the bone, adding water as lamb is braising if needed. Remove from oven and skim off any fat.
- Cook couscous according to package directions. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve lamb on couscous; spoon sauce over top. Garnish with mint.
- For medium doneness, cook lamb to internal temperature of 160?F (71?C), and 165? (74?C) for medium-well.
- To make 1 cup (250 mL) couscous, bring 1 cup (250 mL) water to boil; add 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or olive oil. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) couscous; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.