Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 60 minutes | Serves: 4
Enjoy this impressive roast with a restaurant-type pan sauce for a special family holiday meal or when entertaining guests.
- 1 SunGold Lamb Sirloin Roast, cap on (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Cognac or brandy
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Pat lamb dry with paper towel; rub with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet set over medium-high heat; sear lamb, fat side down, for 2 to 3 minutes or until half of the fat has rendered.
- Transfer skillet to oven and roast for 35 to 40 minutes for medium-rare or until instant-read thermometer inserted into centre of lamb registers 145F (63C), or until desired doneness. Transfer to platter; tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add shallots to same skillet; saut over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add Cognac, stirring to scrape up brown bits from pan for 30 seconds. Add beef broth; bring to simmer.
- Mix flour with butter; sprinkle into pan. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast and serve with Cognac sauce. Garnish with chives and rosemary sprig.
- For medium doneness, cook lamb to internal temperature of 160F (71C), and 165 (74C) for medium-well.
- Serve roast with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed green beans or broccoli if desired