Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 2 hours / 3 hours crock pot | Serves: 6
A Provencal Style one dish meal, which also cooks nicely in a crock pot. Just add a crusty loaf for dinner, tonight.
- 6 SUNGOLD lamb shoulder chops, about 300g each
- 6 bacon strips, thick cut preferred
- cup (50 mL) flour
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large leeks, white only, sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried green lentils
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Herb du Provence or Italian mixed herb seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 398 mL can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- 1 398 mL can black pitted olives, drained
Preparation & Directions:
- In a deep skillet or Dutch Oven over medium high heat, brown bacon pieces until crisp. Remove to a platter.
- Sprinkle flour over lamb chops to cover and brown in the remaining bacon fat on both sides. Remove to the platter.
- Add minced garlic, sliced leeks, sliced pepper, lentils, herb mixture to the pot and cook, stirring, just until the leeks begin to wilt.
- Stir in white wine and with a wooden spoon scrape up the brown bits and coating on the bottom of the pan.
- Add broth and sauce.
- Add lamb shoulder and bacon strips.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Add a little broth or water if the sauce is very thick or appears dry.
- Stir in artichokes and olives. Return to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls, one shoulder chop, and bacon with lentils and sauce.