Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 3 1/2 to 4 hours | Serves: 8
Serve this impressive lamb main dish when entertaining; it can be made a day in advance and reheated. It also delivers restaurant style with minimum
- 4 SunGold Lamb Shanks (about 4 lb/1.8 kg)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dry red wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) no-sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C).
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven set over medium-heat; sear lamb shanks for about 10 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add onion, garlic and rosemary to pan; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in red wine and broth; bring to boil.
- Return lamb shanks to pan along with bay leaves; cover and transfer to oven.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender and starts falling off the bone.
- Transfer lamb shanks to serving dish; cover and keep warm.
- Simmer sauce over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until desired thickness.
- Spoon sauce over top; garnish with parsley.
- Serve the lamb over creamy polenta and a side of sauted rapini.
Nutrition Facts (Per 1/8 recipe)
- Calories 340
- Fat 19g
- Cholesterol 120mg
- Sodium 460mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fibre 1g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 37g