Prep Time: 20 minutes |?Cook Time: 3 1/2 hours |?Total Time: 3 hours 50 minutes |?Serves: 4
These ribs cook long and slow for an easy dish with Thai flavours and tender meat.
- 8 racks SunGold Lamb Ribs (about 3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Thai green or red curry paste
- 1 piece lemongrass (1 to 2 inches/2.5 to 5 cm), bruised
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 piece ginger (1 inch/2.5 cm), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice
- 2 sprigs fresh Thai basil, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked Thai sticky rice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Preparation & Directions:
- Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet set over medium-high heat; sear ribs on all sides. Set aside.
- In slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken broth, Thai curry paste, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and lime juice.
- Add ribs and 1 sprig basil to slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for about 3 hours or until very tender. Remove ribs and cook liquid on High for 30 minutes.
- Serve ribs and sauce on bed of rice. Garnish with green onions and remaining Thai basil.
- For authentic Thai flavour, replace salt with 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce (salt is omitted as fish sauce is very salty).
- For a spicy addition, garnish with thinly sliced Thai Bird (red) chili peppers.