Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
A Canadian East Coast favourite, this pita sandwich is made with a sweet garlic sauce that will have you licking your fingers.
- 1 pkg (350 g) SunGold Our Favourite Seasoned Lamb
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped white onions
- 4 large Greek-style pitas, warmed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) white vinegar
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
Preparation & Directions:
- Mix together evaporated milk, sugar, vinegar, garlic powder and salt until smooth; stir in mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Using potato masher, mash ground lamb for about 1 minute or until mixture comes together; divide into 8 portions.
- Shape each portion into oval patty, about 2 inches (5 cm) long and 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat; fry patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Fold patties, lettuce, tomatoes and onions into pitas.
- Drizzle with Donair Sauce.
- Thread bamboo skewer through each pita to hold together.
- Serve with remaining sauce on the side.
- For fully loaded donair sandwich, add pickles and your favourite hot sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Per 1/4 recipe)
- Calories 553
- Fat 30g
- Cholesterol 70mg
- Sodium 890mg
- Carbohydrate 49g
- Fibre 3g
- Sugars 13g
- Protein 22g
- Vitamin A 20% DV
- Vitamin C 20% DV
- Calcium 10% DV
- Iron 25% DV